Sunday, January 20, 2008

The 1948 Plymouth is running!

It's Runnin' Baby!! After replacing the head gasket, and the water pump, I went ahead and began to put the engine back together. I replaced the all the hoses, plugs, belt. Once the block was looking normal again, I proceeded to drop the oil pan. replaced the gasket and cleaned out the sludge from the pan. At that point I thought I was ready to try and start the car. I added oil, Gas and antifreeze. I tried to crank the engine over with no luck. Try most of that day and no luck. At that point I looked into rebuilding the Carburetor. Picked up the kit and did it. I went to crank it over. after about 5 mins of trying,,, VVVRRROOOOOOOM! it was on! And holy crap It smoked up the entire neighborhood. I thought for sure someone was going to call the fire dept on me . But never the less its running, backfiring and all its running! and to think I was told that I needed a new engine! Feel free to comment or just say hi.






2 comments:

chuck_pt said...

The shine looks amazing. Did you have it professionally buffed? Was it kept covered the past 20 years?
Cruise by and take me to lunch sometime!

Big Ben and Erin Bug said...

I was given a 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe named Charlie by my grandmother a few months back. She is running fairly well but needs quite a bit of work to be as nice as yours! I have a question about the rear brakes, I have not been able to get the rear drums off. I have tried PB Blaster, a torch and hammering it. Nothing has worked. If you could send me an email at benwehmann@gmail.com and let me know if there are any tricks that I am missing that would be great!
Thanks
Ben